A.D. 1783, Ahalyabai, as a sequel to the Maratha conquest of the province, erected a new
shrine of Somanatha, a little distance away from this much-pillaged temple.
In December 1812, the Gaekwad of Baroda acquired control over
the shrine of Somanatha from the Nawab of Junagadh. As revealed by the writings of Lieut.
Postans, near about A.D. 1838, the temple-roof was used as a battery for heavy ordnances
to protect the neighbouring port of Veraval. Nearly a hundred years later, in A.D. 1922,
Shri K. M. Munshi found the mandapa open to sky and being used as a stable. This, in
brief, is the story of the temple before its proposed renovation.