The legend of Ma Paudi is intimately associated with the kings of the
Simha Dynasty of Seraikella. The Simhabhumi kingdom was founded by Darpa Narayan Singh, on
the 12th Phalgun of the year 1262 of the Vira Vikramaditya Era, corresponding to 1205 A.D.
The Porahat fort was set up in 1272 and this year also marked the advent of Sri Paudi Devi
to Singhbhum. Raja Achutya Singh installed Sri Paudi Devi at Porahat. The Bhuiyas were the
backbone of the Simha Rajas and Ma Paudi was the symbol of unity of the Bhuiyas with the
Even later on, when the Bhuiyas had risen in revolt against some of the
later Rajas, the prestige of Paudi Ma remained undiminished. In 1581 A.D. Ranjit Singh had
ascended the gaddi. There was a severe uprising against Ranjit Singh, and the Kols,
Saraks, Rautias and Kat Bhuiyas combined in rebellion and burnt all the palaces at Jaipur,
Jagannathpur and Porahat. The ladies of the royal family had to be removed to Nagpur. Raja
Ranjit Singh had to hide the images of Ma Paudi Devi and Sri Raghnunath Mahaprabhu in the
Sanjai river and flee to Jodhpur and then to Delhi to meet Akbar.
The very idea of Paudi Devi being left to her was a sacrifice to the
Simha Raja Ranjit Singh. He was fortunate to secure the friendship of Raja Man Singh and
accompanied him on his way back to Orissa. Man Singh conferred the title of Maharaja on
Raja Ramchandra of Khorda and the latter counseled Ranjit Singh to go back to Singhbhum.
Accordingly, Ranjit Singh returned to Singhbhum in 1590 A.D. re-established
himself. The idol of Ma Paudi was brought out from the place of concealment and was
installed again with great pomp. But once more the image had to be removed to Panasua
village, when another revolt, this time against Raja Kashiram Singh