Graduating with honors in English and topping the list in History, in the M.A. examination, P. C. Roy Chaudhury, M.A.B.L. (born February, 10, 1903, at Cuttack, Orissa), has served in various posts under the Government of Bihar.
Specially selected to re-write the District Gazetteers of Bihar, he functioned as the State Editor of the District Gazetteers. Trained by the late Sir Jadunath Sarkar, Shri Roy Chaudhury re-wrote sixteen District Gazetteers. He had occasion to visit Kathmandu, Jaipur and Bhubaneswar, for advising on Gazetteer work. He has
traveled extensively throughout India.
His compilation of the digests of old English Correspondence and other Historical records in Saran, Hazaribagh, Singhbhum, Gaya and Muzaffarpur and work on the 1857 movement in Chotanagpur and Santal Parganas have been published by the Bihar Government.
Other books by him are:-
He is also freelance writer on sociological and historical topics and was for some time Editor-in -Charge of the Gandhi Centenary Publications as also General Editor of a series of Folk books of different regions of India.
- Gandhi's First Struggle in India
- Jainism in Bihar
- Inside Bihar
- Temples and Legends of Bihar
- Temples and Legends of Bengal
- Temples and Legends of Himachal Pradesh
- Temples and Legends of Nepal
- C. F. Andrews and His Times
- Gandhi and His contemporaries
- Gandhi and International Politics
- Gandhi, the Man
- C. R. Das, His life and Times
- Folk Tales of Bihar (translated into Bengali, Tamil and Telugu)
- Edmond Private a Forgotten Friend of India,
- Bihar, A Survey
- Folk-Tales of Thailand
- Buddha and Buddha Gaya.