A pilgrimage to the Sagar Island near Diamond Harbor has a hoary past. Sagar Island is situated about 77 miles away from Calcutta and 40 miles from Diamond Harbour. It is at the mouth of the Hooghly River where the holy Ganga discharges its water into the sea. The Hooghly bound it on the west and by the Baratala or Channel Creek on the east, while the Bay of Bengal washes it southern face.
The northern extremity of the island, which is about 25 miles long, is called Mud point. On the south-western angle of the island there is a Lighthouse built in 1808. The southern sea face is the site of the great festival of Ganga Sagar marked by unbounded enthusiasm for a bath in the Sangam (the confluence of the river and the sea) and for other ceremonials.
Author - P. C. Roy Choudhury